Sunday, February 19, 2012

Frostbite (V.A. #2) - Richelle Mead

OVERALL RATING: 4/5
I am finding out that it's hard to review books in a series...because they are often very similar!

Quoted from Richelle Mead's website:
"Rose Hathaway's got serious guy trouble.  Her gorgeous tutor Dimitri has his eye on someone else, her friend Mason has a huge crush on her, and she keeps getting stuck in her best friend Lissa's head while she's making out with her boyfriend, Christian.  (So not cool).
Then a massive Strigoi attack puts St. Vladimir's on high alert, and the Academy crawls with Guardians--including the legendary Janine Hathaway...Rose's formidable, long-absent mother.  The Strigoi are closing in, and the Academy's not taking any risks.  This year, St. Vlad's annual holiday ski trip is mandatory.
But the glittering winter landscape and the posh Idaho resort only provide the illusion of safety.  When three students run away to strike back against the deadly Strigoi, Rose must join forces with Christian to rescue them.  Only this time, Rose--and her heart--are in more danger than she ever could have imagined..."
 

General: I must say, I liked this one better than the last. It graduated from dead bunnies to dead vampires, making it much more interesting.
Characters: In this book, of course, the characters from the last book continued from the last one. They haven't changed a whole lot, but they are experiencing new problems and adventures that are really affecting them and bringing them more knowledge. We also have some new characters...who prove their reason for becoming twined into the storyline by creating some interesting plot twists.
Plot: Like the first book, I thought the plot had a nice tempo to it. I enjoyed this book more because its plot was more captivating. There was more action, and the action was more...serious? suspenseful?, plain and simply, better than the stuff in the last book.
Writing style/ POV: Once again, the POV was from Rose's perspective. I think she has matured slightly in this book...she does swear less... Still, we do see our same old Rose though. She still has a spunky attitude, confusing thoughts about guys and a mind of her own, besides her "bond" with Lissa, of course. However, I think there was less of her immature side showing as she was trying to prove to Dimitri that she was worthy of being treated like an adult. The writing style still fits Rose's persona, so that's good.
Re-readable? I actually already started re-reading it, on a long car ride today, so yes!
Intended audience: Same as first book, teen (girls?). 
Genre: Young Adult Fantasy/Paranormal, could also be considered romance.
I liked: how the plot definitely became more interesting, and how Rose was able to prove to herself and the others that her guardian training had paid off. (read and you will see what I mean) I also liked how there was more magic used in this book.
I disliked: the scenes between J.H. and Rose. I am using initials so I don't give anything away :) Some of those scenes I just wanted to skip through because of the tension and awkwardness between them. Of course, it also made the plot more interesting, which was good, but I don't know. I just wanted to get back to the action. Probably not a big deal to others, it was the first thing I thought of after thinking hard about what bugged me!

No comments:

Post a Comment